Sunday, April 22, 2007

Liberia Part II

The day is nearly here when I will be leaving for Liberia. I definitely need to thank all of you who have made this trip possible. I would not be going if not for your prayers, your encouragement, your donations, and so much more. Your generosity is incredible and very humbling. God is good and I want to be used by Him.
I have talked with some of the folks who have been there on previous trips and that has made me even more excited to be going. That part of the world has suffered so much in the recent past that sometimes I think what I would be able do, or the impact that I can have, will be really quite insignificant, but I also know that’s how God works. He uses the hands and feet of humble servants to accomplish more than we can imagine. I have recently watched two movies set in Africa, Hotel Rwanda and Blood Diamond. I really feel seeing these dramatizations has softened my heart for these people. I hate to admit that it needed it.

Below is a poem from a book by Max Lucado. The books title is On The Anvil. As the title suggests, God sometimes reshapes us through tough times and forms us into instruments that can be used for His purposes. That is my prayer.

An Instrument For Noble Purposes - Max Lucado

Ah, to be your instrument, o God
like Paul to the Gentiles,
like Philip to the eunuch,
like Jesus to the world,
. . . to be your instrument.

To be like a scalpel in the gentle hands of a surgeon,
healing and mending.

To be like a plow in the weathered hands of a farmer,
sowing and tending.

To be like a scythe in the sweeping hands of a reaper,
gathering and using.

To be . . . an instrument for noble purposes.

To be honed and tuned,
in sync with your will,
sensitive to your touch.

This, my God, is my prayer.
draw me from your fire,
form me on your anvil
shape me with your hands,
and let me be your tool.

______________________
Please keep my family and me in your prayers as this is also the time leading up to the one year anniversary of Carol going to glory. It is always on our minds.

1 comment:

Tanja said...

Good luck in Liberia! Be safe, make it work.
Tanja from the YWBB