Friday, December 01, 2006

HOLIDAYS Part II

It's late Friday night and I thought I would write a thought or two about my evening. Tonight was the Monsma Christmas Party. I have been working for Monsma for fifteen years and have attended every Christmas party with Carol each of those years. Prior to that for fourteen years we attended, together, parties hosted by my former employer. Also for the past several years we attended, together, staff parties for Hillside church where she worked. Anyway tonight was the first such party I attended alone. It was really tough deciding whether or not to even go, but I really did not want to not go. I felt I really should go and I did. It was really strange even just driving there alone. Sure I had the Christmas music on the cd player but there was no conversation. There was no talking about who will drink to much, etc. Just me and my thoughts. The party was at Meijer Gardens again. Carraige rides were again available. The grounds were beautiful with the newly fallen snow. It could have been a very "romantic" evening but not so much when you're alone. I was given special recognition for my fifteen years of service. She would have had the envelope open to check for a possible bonus before we were out of the room.
It went Ok. A few people, other wives mostly, talked to me and asked how the kids and me were doing and letting me know they were still thinking of me. I sure missed Carol again though. I guess this is just another of the hard "firsts" that this holiday season will be full of.
Mostly, I'm glad I went.

No comments: