Tuesday, November 14, 2006


Carol Loved The Children

Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

As many of you who may be reading this post know, Carol loved children. She not only had an obvious, unconditional love for our children, but for all children. It was one of her passions, one of her passions that defined her life.
Carol was a charter member of our church, Hillside Community Church (then Cutlerville Hills CRC). Almost from the beginning she was involved in the Sunday School program in some way. She enjoyed nothing more than to be teaching children Bible stories and about the love of God. As a helper, teacher, piano player, youth leader, she always made the time to be involved. In the 28+ years of our marraige, I can't remember a time when she wasn't involved with the ministry to children in our church and community.
When our own children were young and Carol was a "stay at home" Mom, we were struggling to make ends meet on just my income. Carol was trying to come up with ways she could contribute finacially without having "go to work". She came up with the excellent idea of teaching piano (another passion of hers). Within a few weeks she had a full slate of piano students. Again she was teaching children and loving it. She taught piano lessons for many years and really hated to give it up, which she did only recently. She just really enjoyed teaching the kids a skill the she got so much pleasure from.
When Hillside decided to open a staff position for a "Children's Ministry Director" she knew that was what she wanted. She was delighted when the job became hers. She loved our church and she loved her fellow staff members but for her it was all about the kids. She worked hard in that position and did an oustanding job. She loved hearing from new members that one of the main things attracting them to Hillside was the Children's Ministry programs. After one of her mission trips to Cuba she acquired a large frog shaped container which she filled with candy. The kids came to know her as the frog lady (another story) because they would love to sneak into her room for the candy. She loved it because kids would always be visiting her (for the candy) and she could talk with them. In Cuba, as well, it was the children. One of the main things she loved about going to Cuba was the children. She would comment that they were always so happy, and smiling, and eager to learn. Again she just couldn't resist going there to teach and enjoy those kids.
More recently, our church became involved in the Kids Hope USA ministry. Carol was very busy with our family and her duties at church, she was very involved in our music ministry also, (another story) but she knew that the need was great for mentors. She also knew that the program was producing many "success" stories of how a mentor's involvement was changing lives for these kids. She couldn't not say yes. It was in her heart.
We can't really measure the effect of someone like Carol on God's kingdom? I'm sure God knows what that effect has and will be for it will continue for generations. I don't know if any of her students or infuencees (new word) proceeded her to heaven, but if they have, I'm sure they gave her a big hug and like the old Ray Boltz song goes, they said "Thank You, Mrs Vail, I am a life that was changed...Thank you for giving to the Lord." I am sure there will be hundreds of her "kids" who will arive in heaven after her and she will welcome them with a big smile and a big hug and say something like "you made it, you learned your lessons well. It's so good to see you again. Let me show you around."
Another favorite song of mine is "Tell Me Again" by Geoff Moore. It talks about the faithful who teach Sunday School each week with very little thanks and how important that can be in a persons life. Carol was one of those faithful people!

"Tell Me Again"
(Words and Music by Geoff Moore and Steven Curtis Chapman)

A little boy sitting on a metal folding chair,
In what appears to be a Sunday school room.
He could see that shepherd boy, His sling up in the air,
He could feel that giant hit with a boom.
In that room I saw the Red Sea part,
And two by two animals get in the ark.
And Mrs. Keen gently would say,
The God of the past is still God today.

So tell me again of the old, old stories.
Tell me again of the faithful who walked,
In the lions' den and the fiery furnace,
Of Noah and rainbows and donkeys that talked.
I don't want to forget so please, tell me again.

A young man sitting at a desk with a wooden chair,
In what appears to be a high school class.
He can see a battlefield there's giants everywhere
saying, "The Bible is a thing of the past".
In this new age you believe what you want to believe.
'Cause god is whatever you want it to be,
And I can hear Mrs. Keen gently say,
The God of the past is still God today.

So tell me again of the old, old stories.
Tell me again of the faithful who walked,
In the lions' den and the fiery furnace,
Of Noah and rainbows and donkeys that talked.
I don't want to forget so please, tell me again.

How the God of the ages,
Turned history's pages and saw my need.
Tell me again of the shepherds and wise men,
And the star that would lead them to the baby who was born,
So that we could be born again.

Tell me again of the Gospel story.
Tell me again how the whole world was lost.
How the Only Begotten with grace so amazing,
Gave up His life on an old rugged cross.
I don't want to forget so please, tell me
Tell me again of the old, old stories.
Tell me again of the faithful who walked.
How the Only Begotten, with grace so amazing,
Gave up His life on an old rugged cross.
I don't want to forget so please, tell me again.
I dont' want to forget, so please, tell me again.

No comments: